Monday, August 17, 2026
NewsWhite
Ceuta leader accuses Morocco over ‘atrocity’ of mass border crossing
WORLD
Unverified

Ceuta leader accuses Morocco over ‘atrocity’ of mass border crossing

By Ashifa Kassam in Madrid, Okba Mohammad in Ceuta and Lisa O’Carroll in LondonAugust 3, 2026·Source: The Guardian·1 views

Juan Jesús Vivas says influx seen as ‘at least encouraged or permitted’ by Rabat, as Spain demands EU solidarityExplainer: why is Ceuta a migration flashpoint?A growing chorus of voices has accused Morocco of helping to fuel the crisis in Ceuta, with the leader of the Spanish enclave describing last week’s border crossings as an attack on Spain’s territorial integrity that was seen as being “if not orchestrated, at least encouraged or permitted by Morocco”.Spanish officials ⁠said on Monday that an estimated 69,500 people who had arrived late last week in Ceuta, a tiny Spanish territory in north Africa, had returned to Morocco in recent days. About 2,500 people who had made the crossing were believed to still be in Ceuta.

Continue reading...

Originally reported by The Guardian. Read the original article

Related Articles